Google Workspace for Education myViewBoard settings notice
Google has updated its third-party app policy in Google Workspace for Education. Action is required by administrators to update the access setting for apps like myViewBoard, with the deadline of October 23, 2023.
To ensure your entity continues to run as expected and all your student users can sign in to myViewBoard apps, such as Whiteboard, as expected, please review this article carefully.
Google users designated as under 18 years old won't be able to access myViewBoard if you haven't confirmed access settings for it. To avoid this, you must update the access settings for either your unconfigured or configured third-party apps.
Before starting: checklist
- Does your entity use Google Workspace for Education? This feature is only available with Google Workspace for Education editions.
- Have you bound your Google Workspace to myViewBoard? Learn how the Google single sign-on (SSO) process works in myViewBoard.
- Are you assigned as an administrator in Google Workspace? You must sign in to your Google Workspace Admin console with an administrator account to configure third-party app settings.
- Is myViewBoard configured or unconfigured in your Google Workspace third-party apps? If you have previously configured app access for myViewBoard, it's a configured app, whereas if no access setting was previously configured, it's an unconfigured app.
Access the Google Workspace Admin console
To start, sign in to your Google Workspace Admin console. After signing in, you'll actually see a banner notice informing you to set your app settings by the October 23 deadline.
Here, click GET STARTED to initiate the third-party app settings update process. Use those instructions as a reference as you prepare to update the myViewBoard app access setting.
Unconfigured third-party app setting
If your entity requirements make it so myViewBoard remains an unconfigured app, you must update unconfigured third-party app settings to allow entity users designated under 18 to sign in to myViewBoard apps.
Make sure to select Allow users to access third-party apps that only ask for Google sign in info when selecting your unconfigured third-party app setting.
Once this selection is saved, users designated under 18 will then be able to sign in with their myViewBoard account using Google SSO.
Configured third-party app setting
If you have previously configured the access settings for myViewBoard, then make sure to select the appropriate access setting in the configured third-party apps step.
You'll first see a list of Unconfirmed apps. Use the search filter to identify myViewBoard and its current access setting. In order for your entity's users to be able to sign in, access must be set to Trusted or Limited.
To update myViewBoard's access setting,
- Check the box for myViewBoard.
- Click the Trust or Limit button above the list.
- Review the rest of your unconfirmed apps.
- When ready, click Confirm access settings.
- Instead of using the guide steps, you can view the unconfigured third-party apps setting in Security > Access and data control > API Controls at any time.
- Instead of using the guide steps, you can view the configured third-party apps setting in Security > Access and data control > API Controls > App access control at any time.
- If either configuration is not set, users designated under 18 will be blocked from signing in.
- They will have the option to request access after being blocked from signing in.
- An admin in the Google Workspace Admin console can then review User requests under App access control.
- When you Allow users to access third-party apps that only ask for Google sign in info for unconfigured third-party apps, users designated under 18 will be blocked from binding to their Google Drive. However, they can still request access, and you can review the request and configure apps settings to allow them access.
- Learn how to configure myViewBoard with Google Workspace.
- Review Google's official announcement and help instructions.
- View Google's full third-party app settings guide for more in-depth details and instructions.